Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Xt kohler replaced coil still no spark.

Customer Question

xt kohler replaced coil still no spark.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

The coil and the magnet is all that produces the spark. How are you checking for spark? Plug has to be grounded to the metal of the engine, or it will not show. Also the coil needs to be within .010 of the flywheel magnet surface.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
on both of these. I have tried the air gap at .012,.010, and .008 put a metal screwdriver into plug boot to connect to wire held on to it and engine while cranking, believe me there is no spark. I have been working on small motors for many years and never had this problem before. One thing I did forget to mention was that one of the bolts on the original coil was missing. I did replace it with a new bolt.

Can coil be mounted upside down? I don't see any other thing that would keep it from sparking. Other than a bad coil, but with original and replacement doing the same, not likley.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It can only be mounted one way, if you mount it the other way the plug wire cannot reach the sparkplug. I am kinda at wits end on this thing. I can only imagine it is some dumb thing that is too obvious to see.

Is the coil grounded well? Remove it and clean the mounting ears and the engine block, so it gets good contact.

did you get spark?