Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Kohler sv590 engine on my john deer riding mower.

Customer Question

I have a Kohler sv590 engine on my john deer riding mower. trouble started with the battery not holding a charge. all research lead to the regulator rectifier. After going to a Kohler parts diagram, that lead me to believe it was under the fly wheel. No wasn't there. after re assembling the fly wheel and ignition module, replacing the spark plug, fuel filter, air filter, and a new battery, the darn thing turns over great, it sounds like it wants to run but just backfires.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I have yet to locate a regulator rectifier, I don't think it has one. Yet all the diagrams and trouble shooting says it does.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Di you re-set the gap between your flywheel and ignition module?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the u tube video said to set the space between the flywheel and ignition module with a business card.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no,
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

No problem. Did you get your flywheel bolt good and tight?

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

If not, it is possible that your flywheel key is sheared.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As tight as I could,, It wasn't very tight when I took it off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just replaced that too
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Was it sheared? How did you prevent it from turning, as you were tightening your bolt.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was sheared, I used a belt around the fly wheel to tighten the center bolt
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

I would check again. Backfiring is sometimes an indication of a timing issue. Your flywheel key may have sheared again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check that again tomorrow, if that is the problem, what is causing it to shear?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

It is shearing because you are not getting your flywheel bolt tight enough. Remove your spark plug, and put some soft rope into your spark plug hole. The rope will serve as a piston stop, to prevent your flywheel from turning, as you tighten your bolt.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I have to pull the flywheel off again or just remove the bolt and watch, if the fly wheel turns, but the crank shaft doesn't.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

It is best to remove your flywheel just to be sure.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I'll check it tomorrow when I get home from work, any other tips if the key is good and I get the fly wheel real tight using a rope in the spark plug hole.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

If your engine was running prior to you initially removing your flywheel, I believe that once you replace your flywheel key, and properly tighten your bolt, your engine will start up and run.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the fly wheel key, and sure enough it was sheared.. Tomorrow I am borrowing a torch wrench, what is the correct foot lbs for the bolt?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lets not forget the trouble from the beginning,, Battery won't hold a charge.. Does this engine have a regulator rectifier? If so where the heck is it located?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Does your engine have electric pto switch, or manual lever, to start your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Flywheel Torque Spec: M12 Retaining Screw 88.0 N·m (65 ft. lb.) M10 Retaining Screw 66.5 N·m (49 ft. lb.)

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Donald,, I torqued the fly wheel down to 49 ft lbs,, It started up and ran great,, Thanks,, Battery light is still on and draining the battery. After doing more research, checking all wires, I found the Voltage regulator.. under the dash not on the engine, and some burnt wires,,, it has a 6 wire connector, Keeping in mind this is a john Deere LX176 riding mower, with a Kohler SV590 - 0002 engine. I will get both Volt Reg and connector tomorrow. By the way it looks nothing like the regulator rectifier you recommended.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Awesome! I am glad your flywheel key did not sheer again, and that your engine ran great. I should have asked about the make and model of your mower.

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

You are correct, the regulator is totally different from the one I posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh yea,, your idea of putting rope in the spark plug hole didn't work,, when I turned the fly wheel it pushed the rope out.. I used a strap wrench.. and Yes the PTO is elect.. if you were leading towards checking the kill switches,, and wires,, did that..
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. After you put on your new regulator and connector, let me know what your results are. Thanks!