Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My lawn mower would start and run 10 minutes and then quit.

Customer Question

My lawn mower would start and run for about 10 minutes and then quit. Had to boost it to get it started. Got a new battery and it ran good for about an hr the first day, 2nd day it started good, ran for about 1/2 an hr and then quit. Now it won't even take a boost. When I went to start it the 2nd day, there was a clicking noise that seemed to come from under the seat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Battery is dead because the charging system is not working. Need to get battery charged, then check the charging system. What is model number or hat engine do you have? The charging coil(stator) is under the flywheel, and will come out to a regulator or rectifier , that goes to the battery positive to keep battery charged.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a 1984 Honda, ride on lawn tractor, model number ht3810. We just put a new battery in it.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/ht3810-sa-honda-lawn-tractor-made-in-japan-sn-ht3810-5000034-to-ht3810-5099999/ignition-coil-ht3810-k1-k2/
7 is the charging coil and # ***** is the rectifier, with a voltmeter you can test the charging coil. Unplug it from the rectifier, and with voltmeter set on AC volts, run engine and use one lead on each connection from the charging coil. Reading has to be above 28 volts AC. If it is , the charging coil is good, and the rectifier needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thank you. It will be a day or two before I can check this stuff. I did buy a voltmeter, so will see what I can find out.
OK> Thanks.