Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

2006 x475 John Deere dies after running 40-45 mins. I've

Customer Question

2006 x475 John Deere dies after running for about 40-45 mins. I've noticed that the fuel filter (which is see through) has depleted past half way with fuel. I'm guessing a fuel issue as I can keep it running with starter fluid. I will start again after I leave it sit for about an hour or so, depending on the ambient air temp (sometimes longer).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Fuel filter and plugs are newer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.
hello my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help you out. first off...easy on the ether lolsecond the fuel filter will only run about half full so that's normalthird I would imagine you have an electrical issue. a component is heating up and breaking down. we just need to figure out which one.or even worse we could have a fuel problemso first we need to do some testing when the machine shuts down. when this happens you need to check to see if you have spark.(spark tester from an auto store)if you have spark you need to check to make sure you have fuel.(if you crank the engine for a few seconds you should smell gas at the muffler)ill wait to hear back from you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has spark. I told you it will run while spraying ether in the carb.
ok sorry...wasn't sure you were spraying ether into the engine hotso the next step is to figure out why the fuel isn't making it to the engine. when this happens can you unscrew the fuel tank cap and listen for a suction sound? a plugged fuel tank cap will cause a suction that the fuel pump cant over come and its not an uncommon issuealso when the machine dies can you test for power at the carb shut off solenoid? should have 12 volts there with the key on park brake set
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I verified fuel cap is not plugged and functional. Carb shutoff solenoid? Where is that? There aren't any wires on/near my carb. It's not fuel injected.
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago. is the shut off solenoid. it needs 12volts in order to allow fuel to the engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright, won't be cutting the grass again anytime soon (which is how I will have to test this when it kills) as we are having 70% chance of storms the next 4 days. I did try to test it cold and I blew a 15 amp fuse right off the bat !! I'm using a Craftsman Autoranging Multimeter model 82002 (see attached pic). The picture is how I have the meter connected and I put the red on the solenoid and the black on the ground cable of the mower. Is this correct method to test for 12 volts at the solenoid?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh, by the way.... When I blew the fuse I did have the brake locked down and the key to run (not start)
Expert:  John Oliver replied 4 months ago.
the fuse blowing is weird....yes that is exactly how to test for 12volts. I suspect that you will find no voltage there and if that is the case we should be able to trace it backwards from there