Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Day one with my new Poulan Pro, 42" 19 HP Briggs: Mowed the

Customer Question

Day one with my new Poulan Pro, 42" 19 HP Briggs:
Mowed the yard - worked perfectly
Rinsed of the mower with a garden hose - started right back up without problem
Could not get the transmission to engage - noticed the freewheel switch was stuck in the In position - could not pull it out until I pushed the brake pedal down. But then when I pushed it down again to start the mower, the switch went back in again.
How do I fix this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Model number of the mower? example 13AM670a450. Is the transmission top pulley turning when the engine is running? If not , the drive belt has came loose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Curtis,Thanks for the response. According to Home Depot's website, the model # *****: Poulan PRO
Model ####-##-####If the problem is with the top pulley, how do I check that? (I am a real novice when it comes to engines and this is my first riding mower). Obvciously I am considering just returning the mower, but I would be willing to try and fix it on my own, assuming it is not too difficult. Is there a pdf version of the owners manual I could access? I got a manual with the mower but it seems very inadequate when it comes to troubleshooting.I will be gone most of the day at a swim meet, so may not be able to respond to future emails and won't be able to try any fixes until this evening or tomorrow.Thanks,David Hulit

Page 20 shoes the drive belt routing. Look up under the rear fender to see if the belt is driving the top pulley/fan oo the transmission with the engine running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Curtis,Thanks for the information. The belt had slipped off one of the pulleys, but I put it back on and got the mower running again. One last question. Is the fact that it slipped off an indication that there is a problem that may come back again? The only cause I can think of is that when I was washing down the mower the water pressure from the hose might have caused the belt to slip off. However, this doesn't seem real likely - I was not using a power washer - just a regular hose nozzle. I am wondering if I should go back to Home Depot and try to get a different mower.Thanks again for your help,David Hulit

Belt should have belt guides at the pulleys to keep the belt on. The guides need to be adjusted close to the pulleys , so the belt will not come out. The guides should have to be loosened to replace the belt.

did you get my response?