Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I bought a used Briggs & Stratton 625 series push mower from

Customer Question

I bought a used Briggs & Stratton 625 series push mower from a pawn shop today. It looked to be in decent shape, but didn't have gas in it, so I couldn't test start it at the shop. They said it started fine when it was brought in. Anyway, I get home and put in new gas and refill the oil, but the mower still wouldn't turn over. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Can you remove the spark plug? With spark plug removed , and plug grounded, see if it has spark. If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will start.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can remove the spark plug. How do I ground the plug, and then how do I check for a spark? Thanks
You want the metal end of the plug, touching the metal of the engine. If it is not grounded, it will not spark. Watch the tip of the plug to see the spark.