Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a John Deere z445 with a Briggs 27hp cyclonic

Customer Question

I have a John Deere z445 with a Briggs 27hp cyclonic engineThe engine cranks for 30-60 second every time you start it. Sometimes runs he battery down before it starts. It has been like this since new but is now our of warranty. I need help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Will your engine continue to run, after it start up?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
This is only a troubleshooting question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it runs. What do you mean with your last response?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
I am back with you. The reason I asked if your engine will continue to run, is because many times when this problem occurs, it is due to your choke not fully closing.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Although your choke lever is in full choke position, the choke valve on your carburetor could be partially open.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
If so, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up immediately. If your engine does start up immediately and run, then it is very likely that your choke is the source of our problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You and I had a question open earlier this month and you dropped out of the question. We went through all of this then.
It starts with starting fluid.
But the cable is properly installed and the choke will close no further on the carb.I can't think of what else it could be.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
I remember our discussion from back in April. In your initial question, I requested the model, type, and code numbers for your engine. Can you get these numbers for me? I would like to pull up a diagram of your specific engine. I am willing to work with you, until we figure out what is causing our problem. Your satisfaction is very important to me.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I attached a pic to the question
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Awesome! Thanks, ***** ***** the picture now. I am away from my computer at the moment. When I return, I will let you know, and we can continue from here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
I am back. I would like for you to try something, as a part of a process of elimination, just to be sure.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Loosen your choke cable, then manually apply your choke. I still feel that your choke is not fully closing.