Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

2014 Troy Bilt Bronco - I always have taken the battery out

Customer Question

2014 Troy Bilt Bronco - I always have taken the battery out and put it in heated basement on a wire rack - this spring I put the battery in the mower and it would not start. Bought a new Battery (CCA 150 - Lowes Magna Power) and it did not turn over - Lights are on. After starting from the "Battery Charger" and running for 30 mins - shut it mower off and it does turn over or start! Lights are still on.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. With a Jumpstart will the mower start , or will it even click
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only with Charger connected to battery - Lights are still on!
The batter may have lost a cold cranking amp or a cell going bad , if jump started will it stay running
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHEN the charger is connected to the battery it started one time after charging for 30 min on/in "engine start charge" position - now it does not start at all no clicking. This is a new battery I bought today.
Ok it could be the solenoid , the solenoid transfers power from the battery to the starter
Did the mower die on its own after 30 min of running
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NO - as I turned off the ignition and then I tried to re-start it - it would not start!
Ok it sounds like yous solenoid is bad , it kept running until you killed the motor , the lights are strong , do you have a multimeter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yea - How can test?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NO
I'd like to get a voltage reading on the battery
Ok can you locate the solenoid? Trace the red thick cable that's bolted to the starter back and the other end will be bolted to the solenoid . Tale a long screwdriver and cross the post of the solenoid and it will put power right to the starter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am tired now - too much information!
Ok , well when ready you can try jumping the starter directly or crossing the post of the solenoid . If it stays running either way the solenoid is bad
I don't mean to overload you it's just not being able to see it myself I have to ask questions etc
Hi just wondering if you were able to try to start it by jumping the starter or by crossing the post on the solenoid ?