Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Ferris IS 2000 Z would die when the parking brake was

Customer Question

My Ferris IS 2000 Z would die when the parking brake was disengaged. I jumped out the brake switch, but the engine would then die if either of the steering levers was engaged to move. I next left the brake switch jumped out and jumped out the seat safety switch. After jumping seat safety the mower would start, & move both forward and reverse but died when the PTO switch was engaged. I replaced the PTO switch took out the brake and seat jumpers and reconnected the switch. When I did this I was back to square one. The mower would start but died as soon as I disengaged the brake. I left the new PTO switch in place and replaced my brake & seat jumpers but left the new PTO switch connected. Now I am back having the mower run with the brake off, move forward & backward, but still dies when the PTO is engaged. So apparently the PTO switch was not my problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.It sounds like you have a seat safety switch that is giving you problems. How many wires are coming to the seat safety switch? What happens if you leave the jumper out of the seat safety wiring and just unplug it from the switch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm at work presently. I THINK there are 6 or 8 wires coming into the seat switch. If I remember correctly, when I tried just unplugging the seat switch the engine would not turn fire at all. That's why I put the jumpers in. I can try again and see what happens. It will be later today though.
with that many wires into the switch you will end up having to jumper it. I was thinking that it maybe only had a couple wires going into it. It could still be that you only need to jump one or two and not all of them. I would have to pull a wiring schematic to look closer at the way it is wired to be able to help you with that. If you would like for me to do so please provide the model and serial number from the frame of the machine and I will take a closer look.