John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I'm a 59 y/o woman who doesn't know anything about

Customer Question

I'm a 59 y/o woman who doesn't know anything about things like this. I have an Ariens riding mower, model # ***** There is also another number but I don't know what it is A19A42. The mower deck belt keeps slipping off when I push the lever up to mow. How do I correct this? Is there a way to tighten the pulleys that the belt goes around? Thank you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.
good morning Susan my name is ***** ***** should be tensioned with spring loaded idler pulleys. if they are set up and not keeping the belt tight it will cause this issue. Sometimes belts just plain wear out and once they "flip" and jump off they refuse to stay onanother issue may be a bad pulley/bearing causing a pulley to not run true to the belt. If that is the case it will keep sending the belt off its path. unfortunately there is not any "cut and dry" answer. can you see if the pulleys are turning free by hand and not loose and floppy? also is the belt in good condition?
hey Susan. were you able to take a look at your machine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mr. Oliver,
Thank you for your response! I don't know how men enjoy doing this stuff, there's no room to work! lol I kind of propped it up to look under it and make sure the belt was around all the pulleys correctly (yeah, like I know what the correct way is). :) The only thing I found was that the belt had jumped out of the "J" shaped belt guide so I put it back on. Your advice is still good to know for the future. Thank you! Have a great day! Sue
hey! fantastic. You have to be a special kinda crazy to want to do that all day for sure. glad it worked out for you. please shoot me a rating when you have a second. that way they keep me around for anther day