Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Past few months My 15KW Guardian Plus Model 04390-3 starts

Customer Question

For the past few months My 15KW Guardian Plus Model 04390-3 starts and runs for a few seconds and then goes down on over speed. I can restart the engine on manual but get the same results. You had this same question about 5 years ago and diagnosed a bad battery. The battery is relatively new and the engine spins and starts without a problem. It just stops after a few seconds and flashes the over speed warning light. I went to the manual and it was not helpful. It just tells me to contact an authorized dealer. The unit was installed in 2005.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. What is the serial number of the genset?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Serial Number(###) ###-####
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
OK.The first thing you need to do is to check the voltage and frequency output. I know it is a bit difficult when the engine only runs for a few seconds, but it can be done. What voltage and frequency readings do you get?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your response has not been helpful. You are asking me to got measure the voltage and frequency. I am assuming this will tell you if the engine is running to fast. I don't have the necessary tools or knowledge to measure the values that you ask. What I need to know is how to slow down this engine. Your response has not been satisfactory. I will contact a local tech to come out and service the gen-set. Thanks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
You can not properly set the speed of a genset without a frequency meter. To do so would risk burning up anything you power with the genset.And the problem may not even be in the actual engine speed - there are other things that can set this alarm, but frequency needs to be verified to know for sure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your time. I'll contact a local tech.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
OK