Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Well, Ashamed to admit it, but I feel I may have just been

Customer Question

Well, Ashamed to admit it, but I feel I may have just been ripped off because of inexperience. I recently bought a Powercraft 2200 LR generator to run my caravan and for home emergency use. The guy who sold it to me insisted it was a two stroke mix, yet I noticed an oil filler, and it says four stroke on the side. There was no indication of any engineering change that I could see, and on getting it home and removing the oil filler cap, it did seem that the oil tank may have had two stroke in it. If it's four stroke, how should I drain the oil tank, and then what should be my next steps? Cheers
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Well, what oil viscosity should I use, and should I run it on a 2 stroke mix? seems counter intuitive to me...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: its about 5 years years old. Hasnt run for two, but fired up on putting fuel in on the third pull.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Engine is four cycle, and you want to use 10W30 oil in the crankcase, And NO oil in the fuel tank! Drain the crankcase through the drain plug, and refill with correct oil. Do not take the chance it has two cycle oil in it, as two cycle oil is for mixing with fuel and not for crankshaft lubrication on a four cycle engine. You need to also check the fule for any indication it has oil mixed in. color should be evident if it has the blue two cycle oil mixed with fuel.If it does, drain the fuel and refill with regular fuel.

Did you see my response?