Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My year old sc 500 ez does not want to stay running after it

Customer Question

My year old sc 500 ez does not want to stay running after it has ran for awhile has oil new air cleaner spark plug is good only seems to do it when it runs for 30 min or more
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It'll start missing and running ruf and if I keep on using it it'll eventually die and not want to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: After it doesn't run for awhile it'll start up and run fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
take a spare spark plug and when it will not restart, take the spare spark plug, attach it to the spark plug wire, and with the plug grounded, see if it has spark. No spark, the coil is bad. If it has spark, check the fuel tank hose for debris and be sure the fuel tank is venting, by loosing the fuel cap.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive pulled the plug out and checked the spark it's real good several times right after it does it I've also drained yhe tank blew it out and and the filter inside the tank through the bottom spicket all clean when I let the fuel drain frome the tank through fuel line doesn't seem like alot coming out and the line is clean blew it all out with air hose could I be tightning the fuel cap to tight so it can't breath maybe
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Turn it till it clicks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never had this problem with my old one
Try leaving the ful cap loose or drill a tiny hole in it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'm gonna have it run awhile with the cap off see if that's it ide turn the cap till it clicked always maybe it was not getting enough air to the gas to let it flow good
It has to vent, or it will draw a vacuum. Give it a try.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank u
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wll it's been running about 5 min now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Usually does it after about 30 40 min or so
Take your time, I'm retired!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well had it running for about an hour seems a ok kinda feel like a dummy but I'm going to be using it tomorrow on a pretty big yard usually takes 1.5 hours to do So well see llow she does but I think it'll be fine will not tighten that cap down so tight thanks for ur help it's been going on for a few weeks now and it was baffling me never donned on me that that could be the issuthought it was bad gas and everything else oh well. Thanks for ur help want me to let u know how it does tomorrow
OK >