Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

VOLTAGE REGULATOR HAS NOT BEEN CHECKED

Customer Question

VOLTAGE REGULATOR HAS NOT BEEN CHECKED
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

What is make and model? Is this Yamaha Gold cart, G16 from earlier ? What is the output from the generator to the regulator? Has to be above 14 volts DC, or the regulator will not have enough voltage to send to the battery terminal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the cart is a G 16 model

Check the output of the generator, with engine running at half throttle, you will need to raise the rear wheels so you can check it. If generator is putting out at least 14 volts, the regulator should have output of 14 volts. If not, replace the regulator.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the cart will discharge at first start then later will start to charge the out put is 14 v but will drop offf to 12v
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what would cause this to be intermitten
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
waiting for answer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can you suggest i try something else

It is normal for the voltage to drop off when battery is fully charged. Does the battery stay charged or does it get so low it will not crank?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the battery goes so low it will not crank.

I would replace the regulator, it has to cut in and out for the battery to be charged.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sometimes i can go 4 or 5 rounds of golf before battery goes dead do you still think its the regulator.

With generator already replaced , yes bad regulator. They stick and do not let the current flow to the battery.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there any way to test the regulator before i order a new one i think they cost about $80.00

You can test the input from the generator,with a voltmeter, and the output voltage. If generator is putting out more than battery voltage, and it is not getting to the battery, the regulator is not working.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will test this out. on tuesday.

OK>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the voltage regulator and the same problem is there the battery lasts for so long then is dead when gas peddle
is pressed when battery low cart will not start and amp gage goes to hard discharge could there be a short somewhere.

Yes, can be a short, or key can not be shutting everything off. If you turn key off and remove the negative cable, and touch it to the battery do you get sparking? Should be no sparking. If it sparks, something is on or drawing current.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried your suggestion to check for a short there was no spark at the battery post looks like I will have to take the cart to
the yamaha dealier for service unless you can come up with else.

This is new battery? New generator and new regulator. Dos the battery show more than battery volts when the cart is running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the volts show normal at times then it will show discharge it seems to run better when cart is cold also generator gets hot to touch.

Are you looking at voltmeter in dash or a test meter? the generator is going to get hot to the touch. It will get at least as hot as the engine. The voltage regulator should turn on and off, charging battery when voltage drops below settings. It will not stay steady.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don,t know what to try next I think I will take to the yamaha dealier.

Is this a new battery? I see no mention of you replacing the battery.??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the battery was replaced with a new last year I even tried a differnt battery this year with no change.

oK>I had to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going to take my cart to the dealier in the next 2 or 3 days i know it my cost me 2 or 3 hundered
but what can i do sorry you were unable to find the problem..

Did you ever try polarizing the generator?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I don,t think so.

To polarize an "A Circuit" system, connect the FIELD, ARMATURE, and BATTERY leads to the regulator. Connect the battery. Then, momentarily connect a jumper wire between the ARMATURE terminal and the BATTERY terminal at the regulator.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did your last suggestion to polarize the generator with no improvment i am taking the cart to the dealier tomorrow.

oK, thanks.