John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I have an Ariens 19HP, 42" deck riding mower which from day

Customer Question

I have an Ariens 19HP, 42" deck riding mower which from day 1 (10/27/14 had had a grinding noise like metal-on-metal sound and feel when I pull the free wheel lever to push it either frontwards or backwards.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon Tate my name is ***** ***** have a 3 year old Ariens that does the same thing. what you are hearing are all the mechanical drive items spinning inside themselves as you push or pull. its not harmful by any means and if you owned a john deere or any other machine you would hear that same noise. The only way to eliminate that noise would be oil and you don't want that on your belts. Hope this helps to put your mind at ease
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My one neighbor has a John Deere and another has a Husquvarna and neither makes the noise my Ariens does.Sorry, I don't "buy" your answer, but wait, I did and that was $27.00 down the toilet.
no worries. do you have someone in your network of friends that has an experienced ear for mechanics? one unfortunate disadvantage of this service is that we can only see the words, not the noise and what it is your seeing. second opinions always welcome and I think in your case a live person on site would be the best optionregards ***** ***** a great weekend
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mechanic has 35 years experience working on mower questions. He clearly heard the sound but, even after calling Ariens Tech, he nor Ariens could diagnose the problem.
what I can do is opt out of this question and let someone else pick it up and see what they sayhave a great weekend