Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Solenoid clicks loud but will not turn engine over. Battery

Customer Question

Solenoid clicks loud but will not turn engine over. Battery is charged. Almost like a safety clutch is holding it from turning
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I would like to try to help you with your riding mower. You can take a long screwdriver and cross the post of the solenoid , this will engage the starter , if it starts and stays running the solenoid is bad and not transferring power to the starter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you
When I say cross the post , I mean there's wires that are bolted bowl to 2 post with nuts on them , you take the screwdriver and put it between the post and turn it so it makes contact with both . This will turn the starter over so have the key in the on position
Let me know if this works and it stays running , you may habe to put the parking brake on so it will start with you off of it . Of it does work and you buy a new solenoid to replace it , unhook the battery before changing it and mark which wires go to which post .
Did jumping the solenoid get it running ?