Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have the 18hp v-twin Vanguard model 305447. Purchased as a

Customer Question

I have the 18hp v-twin Vanguard model 305447. Purchased as a new replacement for my Grasshopper Model 718 in 2005.
I have replaced the battery and the 2nd mowing the battery discharged, but charged right up with a battery charger.
What should I be looking for as a cause for not keeping the battery charged during operation. Engine starts and runs fine with a charged battery.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks you for choosing Just answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Either your stator/alternator, or your regulator rectifier is likely at fault. If you have a multimeter, you can check the output voltage of your stator.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
With your engine running at 3600 rpms, you should getting a reading in the range of 20 - 30 Volts AC. Always check your stator output, with your meter set to check AC Voltage.