John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

Had the same thing happen to me last year ,same motor and

Customer Question

Had the same thing happen to me last year ,same motor and probably the same unit.Craftsman 26hp Kohler engine,stopped running in some high grass & weeds gas ok, oil gone the plastic oil drain plug got snapped off ,oil all over the deck.Anyway we tried moving the motor With a large pipe wrench, we were able to move it ,but it was too tight for the starter to turn.So we took it apart and found everything was fine except the top shaft that the flywheel sits on.That was all gouged and scratched up pretty good inside the unit.We bored it out and are in the process of putting it back together snapped a bolt to the connecting rod trying to find a replacement,Iwill be changing the oil plug set up.We were wondering why that was the only part of the engine that was damaged?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 9 months ago.
the tolerances on that shaft are pretty precise and under an extreme load. without oil friction takes over and bam! make sure you take a very close look at your valves, they receive the least amount of oil and would be the first thing to starve on oil if you lost it all over the deck. Sorry you have had such a bad run.