Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Kohler v-twin engine. Before replacing the carb because it

Customer Question

Kohler v-twin engine. Before replacing the carb because it was flooding I had spark to both cylinders and it would run with the fuel line clamped off. After replacing the carb I can't get spark to either plug and can't get continuity to the white wore of the coil leads from anywhere. What am I missing?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What coils do you have? one wire, two wire or three wire? When replacing the carb, did you maybe short out the oil sender, under the carb? It may be killing the spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One wire to the coil and one wire to the spark plug. I will check the oil sender but I don't think that it was disturbed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you remove the one wire to coils do you have spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removing the coil leads of both coils did not produce a spark from either plug.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Could there have been voltage applied to the coils? With single wire, fixed timing coils, the coils and the magnet is all that makes the spark. With no spark with kill wires removed, the coils show to be bad! Seems odd that both would have failed.???
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find problem?