Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a John deere Sabre 1538 auto tractor. I can start and

Customer Question

I have a John deere Sabre 1538 auto tractor. I can start and move the tractor fine,but when I try to engage the cutter as soon as I push the engagement lever of the safety switch the engines dies. The brake safety operates and the seat safety operates. I have removed the pto switch and checked that it is a dual switch, with 2 pins closed when operated and 2 pins closed when released. When operated(pto lever in off position) the engine starts and runs.As soon as that switch is released the motor dies.Is there another switch that is not functioning that is not in the wiring diagram that I am missing.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
No, problem is either the seat switch or the brake switch. or the wires between them. There has to be continuity between the two switches, the tractor has two circuits, one is for start, which is ok, the other is the run circuit which is not complete.
Did you get my response?