Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

My name is***** have a 1998 Onan 4K generator

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a 1998 Onan 4K generator in my RV, starter will not disengage, melted two new starters, have a new relay and new control board. However, the two wires going to top of relay, one being chassis, the other to engage or ignition, I notice there's continuity between the two, I don't think that's correct as the two terminals should be isolated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Can't think of anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. What is the model number of the genset? When you say relay, are you actually meaning the starter solenoid?If so, are you testing it with all wires hooked up, or all wires disconnected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Hank,
Model is 4KYFA26100E. Yes I meant starter solenoid. With wires all connected to it. I'm thinking I might've connected them wrong last year before starter burned. I was troubleshooting the generator as it would not stay running, ended up finding out power to the fuel pump was not consistent. I have not put a voltage meter at the starter while running as I don't have the new one yet. At starter solenoid there are two wires, one goes to ground and the other to ignition or control box I should say. While both wires connected to solenoid, I find there continuity between the two.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
There should be continuity between the 2 small tabs on the solenoid - that is the activation coil.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, then not sure why starter keeps staying engaged. Flywheel has no issues or wear that I can tell, so only thing I can think of is ignition keeps sending power to solenoid therefore it stays on, am I answering my own questions? Thanks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
If the controller is not receiving AC voltage from the generator, it will not know that the generator is running. But that will only happen is you keep holding the start switch after the unit is running. If it is keeping the starter engaged on its own, the controller is bad. It should stop sending activation power to the solenoid as soon as it senses voltage production.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, it had a brand new from factory controller, can not believe its defective, however, I will check for voltage once I put it all back together, thanks for the help.