Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

OK, So you helped me get my John deere 420 to move forward

Customer Question

OK, So you helped me get my John deere 420 to move forward again and that was great. It ran perfect for 2 days and I almost got my entire lawn done before it broke again. This time the tractor runs ok but the electric warning light stays on all of the time. When I flip the switch that engages the front electric PTO clutch (mower deck) the whole tractor just dies.Since it is an electric clutch, I thought that maybe the amount of power required to activate it was causing the whole engine to fail so I also hooked up a second battery (in a parallel circut ) but even with the 2 batts, the engine still dies.So I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Is this a problem with one of the safety cut outs or is the a really bad short somewhere in the wire between the switch and the electromagnetic clutch that kills the engine when I engage the clutch?Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Deck spins freely, nothing wrong with the deck and pulleys? Does it cut off like key ,or does it stall? Do you have a voltmeter to test with? If it cuts off, like key shutoff, likley is safety switch, seat or brake switch.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It cuts out suddenly like a switch. Everything revolves freely so it's not binding anywhere. I've bypassed both the seat and brake safety switch so is it maybe the pto switch it's self ? or is there another safety switch that I've missed? Yes I have a multi meter.
Seat , brake, and the pto switch are the only safeties other than the neutral, which is only for start. It also has a time delay module, that can cause this, But usually it is the wires between the safety switches, bad connection or broken wire. Have to check continuity between the switches.
Did you find the problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm still in the dark with this problem. The defective after market brake pedal has been bypassed as has been the transmission neutral cut out switch but the engine immediatly cuts out when you flip the front pto switch. I had replaced the transmission switch but with the new one it still wouldn't start so I went back to the bypass wire. This is ok for now but indicative of a broader problem. Could I be looking at a problem with the time delay module?
the time delay can cause it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Roughly where is the time delay switch, what is it's purpose and can I by pass it?
Here is location and guide.