Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have an Onan OBF-3cr 11000b generatorI cannot start it from

Customer Question

I have an Onan OBF-3cr 11000b generatorI cannot start it from the start switch at gen set...I can jump across starter solenoid and it fires up and runs...I can shut it down with switch at gen set...What I have done so far is checked out switch for continuity between #1-#3 and #1 - #2 etc all good what I have found is that terminal #1 is not grounded terminal #2 is grounded...if I am not mistaken that would indicate low oil pressure or bad oil pressure switch. ????? as soon as the small wire are connected to starter solenoid sounds like K1 relay pulls in ...don't understand what's happening here does not get 12volts or anything close to that to pull in start solenoid.....Getting very frustrated with this's a real pain in the but to get in to generator cabinet to do any work...... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....My wife would probably appreciate it too
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. When the engine is not running, terminal 2 will be grounded through the oil pressure switch, as with the engine off, there is no oil pressure to hold the switch open. But terminal 1 should be grounded - it is the common ground. I am not sure what you are saying about the K1. You say it pulls in, but does not get 12V to pull in. Could you explain in more detail?