Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Try to replace the battery on my John Deer LT133 riding mower

Customer Question

Try to replace the battery on my John Deer LT133 riding mower and mistakenly made the connections backwards on the battery which caused a spark and a couple of wires to catch on fire.
I then connected the battery correctly and tried to repair the burnt wires.
The engine would not turn over, and the wire toward the starter was getting very hot and started to smolder.
Previous to the above mistake, the engine was running fine, but I always had to jump start the machine because the old battery would not hold a charge.
What damages to the engine & wiring can I expect, and what would be a rough estimate for repairs.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Fuse and fuse holder melted, the stator (alternator) and regulator and the starter solenoid maay be burned. Parts $200. Labor at shop $300, for total of $500.00.