Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Good Morning, My cub cadet was purchased last July, so it

Customer Question

Good Morning,
My cub cadet was purchased last July, so it isn't that old. The other day it started right up then cut off. Then it wouldn't crank at all. There is plenty of fuel in it, spark plugs are good, clean and debris free, air filter is still in good shape and we cleaned the outer green filter part to clean it of the dirt and etc. When we prayed carburetor spray into the carburetor the mower would crank stay running for about 3 to 4 seconds then cut off again. Fuel line is running nicely so I am stumped. Help. Thanks, Kathy
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.
In the carburetr is an electric solenoid, Do you hear it click if you turn key on and off? No click, no fuel to the cylinders. Check it, the wire might be loose to it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, let me go and check that. Will it click if I just turn the key but not fully engage to start up?
yes, just turn key on and off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes sir, it clicks when I turn the key on and off.
You say you have fuel getting to the carburetor from the tank and fuel pump?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure it is getting to the carburetor but the fuel from the tank through the first line, fuel filter and into the second line leading towards solenoid are getting a good line of fuel...
Need to remove the line at the carburetor and crank to see if fuel is coming from the fuel pump. What engine is this, Kohler or Briggs?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay let me go check and I'm pretty sure its a Kohler but I'll double check that too
OK> If it has fuel to the carburetor, then problem is at the carb!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, the engine is a Kohler and when I took the fuel line off at the carburetor there was fuel running at a nice steady flow
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you say the problem is at the carburetor does that mean it could be clogged? Should I purchase carb cleaner spray or could there be some water in the gas?
Fuel goes into the float bowl on the carburetor, through the needle valve and float, then is sucked through the main jet. The electric solenoid plugs the main jet, until it opens with key. Either the needle valve is not opening, or the fuel solenoid is not opening! Any water should have been collected in the fuel filter.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ah, gotcha. Okay how do I locate the the float bowl and the needle valve and float?
I would remove the fuel solenoid, and see if there is gas in the bowl. And test the solenoid out of the carb.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/kohler_walbro_lmk_carb.asp
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/kohler_command_v-twin_nikki_carb.asp
Here are two differnt Kohler carb links.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great. Thank you. I'm going to see what I can do. If I need additional questions answered later today, do I have that option as well?
Yes, should be link in your email.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much. The top plastic portion near the fan, it has three screws that look like it holds it in place over the top of the main carburetor, I presume I will need to take that off to get a better look at where the float and needle are, correct? I just have to get ready for church, I have nursery duty today. I am going to continue to look into this when we get home. Most likely I'll have to ask more questions later too.
OK>
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Curtis, I noticed there are two separate lines to the carburetor. One from the bottom of the fuel tank and one at the top. What does the top line do?
Top line is vent line. bot***** *****ne from tank is supply.