Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

How do I remove an armature from a Chinese made generator (diesel

Customer Question

how do I remove an armature from a Chinese made generator (diesel engine)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 months ago.
The rotor is press fit onto a tapered crankshaft. It can be very difficult to remove. To remove it, loosen, but do not remove, the rotor through boltabout 1/4".Using a dead blow hammer, or engineer hammer and block of wood,turn the rotor so the steel laminations are facing straight up.DO NOT USE A STEEL HAMMER DIRECTLY ON THE STEEL ROTORLAMINATIONS, OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE ROTOR.Also be very careful not to hit the copper windings, slip ringsor bearing.Squarely and sharply strike the steel laminations 4 or 5 times.Turn the rotor 180 degrees, and whack the other side a fewtimes.Turn and whack, turn and whack.When the rotor pops loose of the crankshaft, simply unscrew thethrough bolt and pull the rotor off..