Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 520H Wheel Horse engine quit while mowing, won't start

Customer Question

I have a 520H Wheel Horse engine quit while mowing, won't start since. Model 73502 Serial(###) ###-####
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this did you check to see if you have spark at the plugs Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, how do I Check spark at the Plugs?
Thank you, Harold
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harold remove the plug wire from plug and spark plug lay it on the engine to ground it then crank it over should see a nice Dark Blue spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Wayne, Ignition is dead. I wrote the details of what I have done to date & sent them. Will try this again. The tractor has a Fuse Block with 4 Ports. One Port is empty from the factory. There is a 30 Amp Charging Port with 2 white wires coming off one side & a red wire coming off other side. This Port was badly corroded so I Cut / Stripped the wires connected them to a new 30 Amp fuse holder. There is a 25 Amp Main Port with a red wire coming only off one side which makes no sense to me and a 15 Amp Light Port with a red wire coming off each side.
I do have power to & from the 30 Amp Charging Port. Considering the above, I still have a dead switch. I did install a new switch. I also ran a jumper wire from the Pos side of Batt to the Blue wire terminal of the Solenoid & The Engine attempted to turn over which is a good test, still nothing at the Ig Switch.
Wayne, see if any of this makes sense!
Thanks, Harold
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harold I did not see this info until now so you are saying the IGN switch is dead , will not crank Here is a wire diagram, see if this helps you click here I hope this helped you Hi If this helped you Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more starsIf more info is needed, use the reply buttonNOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, all I can sa s WOW! Can you simply tell me what color wires go into the Fuse Block Ports & how many wires in each port? I believe if I get a new Fuse Block (sometimes Fuse Blocks become contaminated account mostly corrosion) & get the correct wires in each port I will have power back to the ignition & all wil be well.
Thank you, Harold
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HI That would be easy if I was there .............but not being there , you need to follow the directions on the diagramit is too hard to say what wire , just need to trace and Fix this is best I can do , not being there Hi If this helped you Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more starsIf more info is needed, use the reply buttonNOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, I have all kinds of wiring diagrams none of which seem to be simple for the do it your selfer. With all of the safety devices it becomes a nitemare. The wiring is massive on these tractors. It surely seems to me there would be someone out there with a 520 H Model No. 73502 & Serial No. (###) ###-####& Up that could very easily tell me which wires (all color coded) to put in the Fuse Block holder. I believe it is the Red & White wires only, just do not know how many to ***** you, Harold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne, I am shutting down my computer for tonite, will open again on Monday. Maybe by then someone will come thru with answers that will help me start my tractor. In the meantime, the grass keeps growing.
Have a good evening, Harold
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harold , I will post back to the board as I mentioned , we are not there no hands on, you need to use your judgment to figure this out who knows if any or wires are changed, colors, ETC Sorry I could not help you with colors , but I gave you info to help your self Wayne
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Locate the wire for the fuse , 22, 23, 24, 25,. This wire is the power wire for the keyswitch. See if fuse is good. Follow the wire color, probably is red, direct to the keyswitch. If no power at the switch end , replace this wire.