Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I'm blowing the 20 amp fuse every time I try to engage mower

Customer Question

Hi I'm blowing the 20 amp fuse every time I try to engage mower blades, mover engine is running fine until I pull the PTO button out then it kills the engine and blows the fuse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Grandson was cutting the yard yesterday and the mower just stop on him, I wasn't able to get it started untim I re[place one of the 20 amp fuses which I have now blown 4 or 5 times I pulled the back of the PTO switch out cleaned it off with air and put it back together still blew a new fuse.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What brand is your mower? Do you have the model numbers for your mower?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Are you requesting a phone call?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi can you call me on my cell(###) ###-#### ***** model # ***** found on the engine is CV18S I could not find serial no. on the mower inself. Serial no(###) ###-####is on the engine thery say this production was built between 1995-1998 call me if you can or we will do the email thing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm just trying to get a solutions to an issue with my mower as to why it's blowing the fuse when the PTO in engaged I assume either the PTO button is bad which is causing the fuse to blow protecting the electrical system.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
It could be your pto clutch has a short in it. Remove the wiring connector from your pto clutch, then check to see if your fuse still blows, if it does, then your pto clutch is not at fault. If your fuse does not blow, then your pto clutch could be at fault.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
This is a good troubleshooting starting point for you and I.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have remove the wiring connector to the PTO and when I did it blew the fuse also killing the engine,
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
What brand is your mower?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
eXmark the ops manual doesn't cover anything on the PTO manual says for serial no's 160,000 and higher
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I would like to confirm something. Will your engine start up, and continue to run, until you attempt to engage your pto clutch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it will start and keep running until I pull the PTO button out, then it's like a kill switch, will not start back up until I replace the 20 amp fuse again,
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. You stated that you removed the connector from your pto clutch. Did you disconnect it, at the pigtail that goes directly into your pto clutch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I removed or dropped the control panel and separated the wiring from the PTO I did this while engine was running it still killed the engine even thou I had not pulled out the PTO button. I'm not sure it makes a difference either way once the connection is broker it kills the engine.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
If your fuse blew, even after the disconnect, this indicates a possible problem with a bare wire going to ground.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it be strictly the wiring harness for the PTO or possible any wiring within the electrical system ??
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Keep in mind, that your fuse blows when you turn your pto switch to on position. The circuit in your pto switch for your pto clutch, has a wire that remains hot at all times. When you turn your pto switch on, this closes the circuit, to send voltage to your pto clutch. So, our problem is somewhere along the path, from the outgoing wire from your pto switch, to your pigtail for your pto clutch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe I miss lead you when I said I removed the wiring from the PTO clutch it was the back side of the PTO button is the clutch on top of the mower deck ? I did not disconnect from the clutch I will check the wiring closely follow from the PTO button back and see if the wiring is nick anywhere. Thanks signing off for now, I do appreciate the insight.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome! Your pto clutch bolts to your crankshaft, underneath your engine.