Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a cub cadet 1016AE and it keeps slowing to a stop and

Customer Question

i have a cub cadet 1016AE and it keeps slowing to a stop and does not have the pulling power. I have put a new band on but it slipped a lot then worked okish well it moved but now the new band after 5 hours of work has worn to the point it keeps coming off.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.
http://www.motoruf.com/n/partslists.html?id=599773
The drive belt has to be tensioned by spring. Which belt is loose? # ***** is a torsion spring, is it the ine for the loose belt? Could it be off its pin?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the belt that was slipping was #79 the spring is fine. The main issue is the mower goes slower than it should it then stops and the accelerator goes right to the bottom. I then take me foot off the accelerator back on again and it moves forward. In addition the blet #79 has worn excessively in only 5 hours.
The belt slips because it does not have the tension it should. Either belt is too long or the idler bracket is not moving, or the belt is routed wrong around the idler pulleys, the flat idler has to go on the flat side of the belt.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi The belt is fitted correctly and I have checked the size of the belt which I purchased from Club Cadet. idler bracket is moving prefectly.S
With engine OFF, can you sip the belt over the pulleys? If you can, belt is too loose. Figure out why belt is not tight. Has to be something with the idler pulleys.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if the accelerator is not depressed then the belt is loose if the accelerator is pushed down it is tight.
Is there any adjustment to the accelerator linkage that would increase the tension? We don't have this model in US and this setup in new to me!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No adjustment if you are not familiar with the model not sure how you can help? Could it be the variator?
Variator is for speed control. Yru priblem is belt slipping. I will opt out and let someone help. Good luck with it. Sorry.