Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I recently acquired a Grasshopper 725K with a CH25 Kohler

Customer Question

Hi, I recently acquired a Grasshopper 725K with a CH25 Kohler OHV.
The previous owner was having issues with the engine and traded it in on a new mower.
It sat over the winter at a shop with the fuel still in the carb/tank.
When I talked to the shop owner he told me that before he would take the mower in he performs a compression and leak down test on the motor and both checked out. He said he drove it off the trailer, it was running rough and died a couple of times before he parked it.
He was confident that when the other shop worked on it, they had the cover plate off and cam out, and that they must have missed a tooth on aligning the cam and crank.
I couldn't pass up the deal running or not, so I took the deal.
I am not a mechanic, but so inclined.
I pulled the cover off, and the timing was right on. they had put a new cover plate and oil pump on it before the trade in.
I removed the carb and as you can imagine it was a mess. I cleaned it completely as well
as the tank. I replaced the pulse fuel pump and lines. Tested the fuel solenoid (functioning), checked the adjustment on the govenor shaft. New oil and filter, fresh gas and battery.
When I tried it after reassembly, it started after several attempts, ran for a second or two and died. I repeated this several times and now I'm stuck.............
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Go back to the fuel solenoid and remove the inner tip, I think on this model it will come out.Then re-instal it as dummy and test. If engine runs, then find out if the solenoid is getting power or is loosing voltage. Solenoid can be defective or the wire to it is dropping voltage. I'm assuming that the engine has spark, If no spark, does the engine have the OIL Guard system, that kills spark if it indicates low oil pressure.
Did you get my response?