Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Snapper hydro. Briggs and Stratton14.5 LT145H38CBV. HAVE A

Customer Question

Snapper hydro. Briggs and Stratton14.5 LT145H38CBV. HAVE A WIRING MESS. CAN U TELL ME WHAT. ARE THE ESSENTIAL WIRES THAT HAVE TO B HOOKED UP FOR IT TO RUN. DONT NEED SAFETY SWITCHES OR HEADLIGHTS. JUST THE BARE ESSENTIALS THANK YOU LISA
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Whoever wired it last has a giant mess underneath there so I'm tearing out all the wiring and I'ma start from scratch right now with the key switch on I've been able to jump it to the starter and it won't start it turns over but will not start I have current running from the battery to the solenoid and I don't even think that's right solenoid because there's nothing coming out of the solenoid as far as power everything goes in for her but there's nothing coming out of it I just need to get it rewire right I've seen the schematics for it and I don't understand all that stuff I just need somebody to tell me what wires go to what
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Do you have an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor? If it does, it can be removed and a bowl bolt installed. Or it has to be powered from the acc side of the key switch.
essentials, battery cables, ground to frame, and positive to the starter solenoid. From the posiitve terminal of the starter solenoid will be wire with fuse to the bat terminal on the keyswitch for power. The you need wire from start terminal of keyswitch , to the switch terminal on the starter solenoid, to close the solenoid when key is turned to start. Then the charging system from under the flywheel, has to go to the bat posiitve to charge the battery. best place to do this is to put it onthe same terminal as the battery cable is on the solnoid.
This will start engine, now, need to locate the kill wire from the coil and take it to terminal onthe keyswitch that grounds when key is turned off. That kills engine.
Then put the pto clutch on a separate switch, a toggle will work, Ground one wire of pto clutch, one wore to toggle switch. Need battery voltage to one side of the toggle switch. When switch is turned on , pto comes on. That should give you a engine that starts and kills, and a working pto. That is as bare as it gets.
did you get my response? Did you get it going?