Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Pearl....I have a 22hp rzt troybuilt mower which is hard

Customer Question

Hi Pearl....I have a 22hp rzt troybuilt mower which is hard to start ever using a boost. yesterday after changing oil using 5w30 castrol 10 min. later all sorts of smoke belched from engine area. Turned off right away did compression test then and both cylinders 130 lbs approx. new oil filter a wix equivalent to kohler's. Can you tell me what is going on? I did not overfill crankcase.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: The spark plugs looked a little blackened after the smoke from engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Oil should be 10w30, but it should work. What is the engine model number? Does the oil show to be overfull or thinned from gas in the oil? No smell of fuel in the oil? So now engine will not run? Have you checked the valves operation , to be sure they are openng? ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have not tried to restart yet. Have not looked at decompression valve function which I think you mean by "valves". How easy is that to accomplish?
No, valves are under the rocker covers on top of each cylinder head. Can you give me the engine model number?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i sent engine number already...did you not receive it? it model SV715s...I find this site VERY frustrating to use!! am no farther ahead than when I started and you cost is going up and you ask the same question.....???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
engine model no. was the issue.
Here is service manual.I get frustrated with site too, I work from home as a contractor! I see no other place that engine model was shown. See page 69 for valves.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had downloaded the manual previously but thanks for the gesture. Is there a decompression valve? I don't see one.
No, there is not one.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
does that mean there could be premature camshaft wear?
No, I would not make that assumption until you check the intake and exhaust valve operation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will keep in touch after checking valves ...hope to settle with you thereafter...appreciate your ongoing feedback
OK> Thanks.