Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I want to ask a question of a specific expert. How can

Customer Question

HI, I want to ask a question of a specific expert. How can I do that?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I need a gold certified stihl technic***** *****ke Jon K. The page I'm looking at says he's online now.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I'm having issues with a Stihl HS 45 that's been in for professional service, but the problems remain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.
Hi I'm Wayne close this question, start a new question, This question is for JON K only
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 months ago.
Good evening Sir. I don't work with JA too much anymore, but since you need a Stihl answer I will do my best to help you out. Please explain to me what is going on with your hedge trimmers and I will give you my best answer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Jon, The site said you were online at the time, but I guess that's old information. Thanks for getting on. Its a HS45 that gets almost daily use. Start up fine, runs for a few minutes then shuts off or looses almost all power. Wait a few minutes, starts up again and does the same thing. Had it on for professional certified service last month. Revs to full power and idles fine. Any thoughts? Thanks
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 months ago.
My first thought is that the ignition coil is going bad. Have your mechanics or yourself run the machine with an inline spark tester attached. These inline spark testers have a light attached that shows when the machine produces spark. You will see the spark die before the engine completely shuts down. Also you will see no spark when you try to initially restart the engine.These ignition coils often go bad like this for no reason at all. They are just electronic devices. If you find the machine is loosing spark as suggested replace the ignition coil and you should be all set.