Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My john deere 318 runs fine until I engage the mower. It will

Customer Question

my john deere 318 runs fine until I engage the mower. It will barely move. I replaced the plugs and gas filter but did nothing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: when I engage the mower I have no power
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: It is a john deere 318 and I replaced the plugs and gas filter but that did nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you ran the cylinder test? Loosen the spark plug wires , and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run, if engine dies when either plug wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark and compression.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my response? And what was the result of the cylinder test?