Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I put a new carb on an older tecumsheh with the governor override

Customer Question

I put a new carb on an older tecumsheh with the governor override starts but not staying running and wanting to rev high
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: wondering what the initial adjustment of carb is to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: also wondering how to adjust governor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Can you tell me what model, spec, and code/serial number this is from the model plate on the blower housing? I'd like to know what engine we're working on, please...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
###-##-####
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
its a craftsman engine that I believe is a Tecumseh
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Have you done the static governor adjustment since installing the new carburetor? If not, that would be the first troubleshooting step.With the engine stopped, loosen the hardware holding the base of the governor arm and move the linkage and rotate the shaft as far as they will go toward wide open throttle. Hold them in place then re-tighten the hardware. This puts the follower arm in firm contact with the governor spool inside the engine. http://i.imgur.com/Sf18PVX.pngSite guidelines require that I post all troubleshooting steps or partial answers as answers, but this is certainly NOT the final answer yet. Additional troubleshooting will be required. So please HOLD OFF ON RATING until we determine the exact problem. Please use the "reply to expert" link so we can continue the discussion.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is 2 arms the one with the adjusting screws or the other that goes to throttle
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
I'm trying to post a picture that should help. If this doesn't make it, give me a moment to try again, please...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not what I have I have governor arm and another arm with the springs on it
I did adjust the other and the throttle seems to work ok but it still races when it starts
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I have the governor under control it just wont stay running
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what is the adjustment of the screw on side of carbeurator
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Unless there's a mistake in the model number, this should be a TVM195 made for Sears. While the picture may not look exactly the same, there should be a lever attached to a shaft coming out of the engine for the adjustment I described and detailed in the manual shot I included. There is a screw and nut that can be loosened to allow it to rotate to the correct position on the shaft and re-tightened. Is yours the style with the governor override as in this illustration? If so, the lever is the one on the far right and should still be in the same location regardless of the bracket style.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to cancel the phone
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it wont stay running with the throttle plate wide open
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
What was it doing prior to the time you changed the carburetor? That might give a clue to the current situation. Does it idle okay and mid-throttle? Does it just die at full throttle?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it dies at full throttle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
don't remember what it was doing. it was three years ago
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a feeling its something in the engine
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Was it doing this before the carb was swapped out as well? Have you done any carb or linkage adjustments on this new one?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes that's why I changed the carb
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
still the same
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and again it wont stay running with the plate wide open
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
I agree that if you are running into the same thing this may be an indication of something additional going on. As a longshot do you happen to have access to a leakdown gauge? That's the fastest way to locate where there are valve, cylinder, or leaking gasket issues. Otherwise, with a physical inspection I would start with checking for a slightly blown head gasket or valves that have eroded in the seating area before doing a cylinder inspection.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sounds like a trip to the junk yard its an old snapper mower was trying to keep it going I think I will invest in something thank you for your help
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
If it would be of help I can provide a repair manual for you that may have some beneficial information in case you want to tinker with it a bit more?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no but thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Very best of success. Been a pleasure working with you. May your hands succeed in everything they touch...