Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

2005 Onan 5500 Marquis Gold, runs about 20 to 30 minutes and

Customer Question

2005 Onan 5500 Marquis Gold, runs about 20 to 30 minutes and shuts down with code 36. Will restart after cools down. However, when it stops there is no fuel in the carburetor bowl- observed by opening the drain screw. Checked the fuel pump flow disconnected from carburetor and it appears good. Replaced two fuel line filters and the fuel hose from fuel pump to carb.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. What is the model number of the genset?From what you are describing, your fuel pump is bad. I'm guessing that you are testing it when it has cooled down, not when it is hot?These fuel pumps are bad about running for 20 - 30 minutes, and then breaking down. But they must be tested while they are hot - right after the shutdown.