Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My John Deere 112 Lawn Tractor starts OK, has power, does the

Customer Question

My John Deere 112 Lawn Tractor starts OK, has power, does the job, etc. but if I take the load off to drive it to a new part of the lawn it stalls. It won't start. After about 10-15 minutes it starts OK and the cycle repeats. Kohler K301 engine.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm WayneI will help you with this does it cut out and die during mowing or only when deck raised and moving let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's fine when mowing with plenty of power. It's only when the PTO is off and load is reduced that it stalls.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that that is a strange oneI suggest to replace the fuel filter and check the air filter it is a starting point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't cough or splutter. It's like the ignition has cut off. Don't think it's the fuel system.Tractor serial no: T0011 300237M
Engine serial no:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that when it dies , check to see if it looses spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also get the impression when trying to start immediately after stalling that there is less compression in the cylinder.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh, now we are getting some light on the issue Have you adjust the valves ever still would like to know if spark is lost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hasn't been serviced recently. Problem has occurred recently. Will check for spark next time I have it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could of course be something to do with the automatic compression release and governor mechanisms.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi If it were the compression release , normal is won't crank with plug instill need to check the spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently leaning towards either ignition coil problem or sticking valves. But why it should occur at times of less stress on the engine has me beat. I will check ignition next time it stalls.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yes that is what we need to find outloss of spark IGN, or valve issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I would add is that there is a clicking sound comes form the left side of the engine just before it stalls. Not sure if that is meaningful or not.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HI Ok see that could be a loose valve adjustment is .10 intake.018 exhaust
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused by it not causing any loss of power under load. Just when "cooling off".
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HI we can go round and round, need to see if loss of spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK first things first. Quite right. I will check the ignition for a spark. Thanks.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
welcome