Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

How do I replace steering gear(###) ###-#### ***** my Cub Cadet?

Customer Question

How do I replace steering gear(###) ###-#### ***** my Cub Cadet? Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Please click on the image link, to open the link below.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

In the image, you will see a large square plate, that secures your steering parts. This plate is secured to your frame with four bolts.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Loosen the two blots at the rear of your plate, and remove the two bolts at the front of your plate. Now you can pull your plate down enough, to gain access to the two bolts you are having problems with. I highlighted the two bolts you are needing to remove, in the image. Both bolts does have nuts.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your answer does not work. There are not 4 bolts. There are 4 large screws on the side of the plate. It also appears the clutch would have to be removed. There is 1 bolt which goes up and under the battery but I can't get to it. Help or refund my $$$. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Have you removed the screws from the plate? You have not been billed for your question.

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

If you remove the two screws at the front of your plate, and loosen the two at the rear, your plate should swing down enough for you to gain access to the problem area.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are only 2 screws and both on the left side. The are 3 bolts and also the brake rod is connected to the plate. The bottom plate looks nothing like the diagram you sent me. It looks like a real pain in the low back to fit. Thanks Cub Cadet
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the follow up. Can you get the model numbers from under your seat for me? I would like to get a specific diagram for your mower.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is model 621-851. serial 1C156h30222 3/2006. I will be away for the next 10 days.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for letting me know. Thanks for the model numbers. There should be another set of eleven (11) numbers and letters, that begin with 14 that I will need. These numbers are specific to your mower. We can continue after you return. I will work with you, until we resolve our problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
14AK13BK756
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for these numbers. Please take a look at the information in the link below.

Steering - Click Here

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What an engineering screw up. My LAST Cub Cadet!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I had to replace the drive belt last year and this is even worse!!!
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Hello. This is a follow up, to see if the additional information helped?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It helped me decide I'd never buy another Cub Cadet
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

I do understand your frustration.