Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have an onan 9.5kw marine gen. I am getting fault code

Customer Question

Hello I have an onan 9.5kw marine gen. I am getting fault code 15 what does that mean?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I am having an issue that I believe started with bad fuel. I have changed the fuel and the filters a few times and it has been getting better running under high load for ove 3hrs now. It just shut down and I changed the filter again and had to bleed the engine. Now it won't stay running shutting down after 30sec and giving me 3 blinks. When I click the stop button it goes on to blink 1 blink followed by 5 which I understand is error 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Fault code 15 is Under Frequency.This is caused when the engine is running too slow, and the frequency drops to below a preset level. This can be caused by many things - bad fuel, bad carburetor, worn/bad/misadjusted governor, too much load on the genset.