Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My Echo PB-500H blower will start but will cut off after running

Customer Question

My Echo PB-500H blower will start but will cut off after running a few minutes and the primer bulb will not release when primed. What can be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 5 months ago.
Hello, The primer bulb mounts to an air purge base assembly. This base assembly has a check valve in it that can fail and cause the primer to stick in the depressed position instead of refilling with fuel from the fuel tank as normal. This could also possibly be caused by a pinched, kinked, or obstructed fuel pick up line or stopped up fuel filter, so eliminate those first. Fuel lines can get spongy and be so weak that they can collapse on themselves as well and that can effectively kink them, so give the fuel lines a pinch and if they don't spring back, replace them. Check the condition of your fuel lines and fuel filter first before looking into the carburetor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this base and the check valve very expensive and what is the difficulty to repair?
List price on the base is around $6 and can be purchased at you local Echo dealer or at a number of places online. You might do well to replace fuel lines and fuel filter at the same time if you are going to replace the base. Low difficulty. Remove carburetor and then remove the 4 screws surrounding the primer bulb. The plate that retains the bulb will come off at that point and the base can be separated from the portion of the carburetor that retains needle and metering lever. There will be a diaphragm and gasket between the primer base and needle/metering lever holder. Inspect the diaphragm at this point. It's rubber so it should be supple and move freely. No stiffness or "popping" back and forth. Echo part number for primer base assy is *********** is an austin company that I use from time to time. They can help you with it, or your local dealer.Kyle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank...will try trpair tomorrpw
Let me know what you find. Goodnight.