Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis . helped get the PTO off my Cub Cadet 1525. While it

Customer Question

Curtis B. helped get the PTO off my Cub Cadet 1525. While it is off, I need to replace the main drive pulley. I cannot get the pulley off the engine, even with a puller. HELP!
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You folks didn't make the 30 minutes!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. How are you? . The pulley you ate trying to remove is the one that drives the engine belt right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It drives the main drive belt to the transmission.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok it should slide down off , do you have a 3 legged puller
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Also you can lightly sand the shaft an use wd40
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a 3 legged pulley puller, and all it did was bend the puller. I even hit it with a hammer while using a pry bar on it. It's not budging. I can see no set screws or the like. There is no room to sand it.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to upload a picture of it. Also is there a bolt in the center of the crankshaft s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only bolt in the shaft held the PTO on. It was removed long before I tried changing the belt and pulley. I am a restorer of antique cars, and thus have access to lots of different tools. Also, I am no dummy when it comes to mechanics although my small engine / tractor experience is limited. I will try to upload a picture soon.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
It should slide off you can screw the bolt in some and try using a 2 leg puller to free it up , you may need to use heat to but be careful because the crankshaftseal is right near that pulley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How could it possibly be so tight that a puller bent it, but heat could remove it? Th tractor manual states :slide the pulley dow to work the belt off..." Ain't no way,now how that one can "slide the pulley down"
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
A 2 leg puller may get it but heat expands and contracts metal so if it's seized it will free it up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 5 pictures to send you. Will send in the next few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Soak it with wd40, and put the bolt back in and try a 2 leg puller. It def slides down but is stuck from use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the last pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if this is the same tactic after looking at the final pic.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's a keyed shaft , it slides down , that's what keeps it lined up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Will soak it with PB Blaster.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
If you can see if you can get some of this http://m.sears.com/search=kano%20aerokroil%20kroil%20penetrating%20oil%2016%205%20oz%20aerosol I've never had luck with pb blaster , but that kroil is gold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a 5 ton 2 jaw puller for $30. All it did was further bend the pulley. No movement whatever. Used both PB and WD-40. This thing has cost me a small fortune so far.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The only other option it to try to cut it off but you run the risk of damaging the crankshaft. Have you used heat ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YEP
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
A air hammer may help otherwise if you have a cutter wheel you can try to cut it along the key way
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Check this out http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other/non-boating-technical-topics/512534-help-removing-pulley-from-crankshaft Heat is the source to get these off . Try to get the wd40 above ithe pulley so it can run down inside around the shaft
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heated it and caught the penetrating oil on fire. Had to run for the extinguisher. What a mess I now have. I did everything mentioned in the forum link you sent mentioned it's NFG! Beating it to death with an air chisel now, and it's still noy moving. Damn MTD and its engineers. Poor design!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the thing is giving you hell. I understand your fustration and anger . If you were local I'd come help you remove it . If you have a cutting wheel you can try cutting it but be careful and I'd cut the length of the keyway