Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Sears model #917 287242 it will not run when you try

Customer Question

I have a Sears model #917 287242 it will not run when you try to engage the blades I replaced the blade safety switch but that did not help .......the seat safety switch works so not thinking that it's bad not sure where to go next
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Don't think so thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.So, can you tell me a little more about your problem? What exactly happens when you engage the blades? Does the engine instantly stall or die as if you had turned the switch off? Does it start to turn the blades and then stop or stall?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It goes dead as soon as I go to engage the blades
It sounds like the seat safety is not working properly. How many wires are going into the seat safety switch? Is the switch itself gray or black in color?Does it also die or stop if you release the clutch pedal to move the machine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has 3 wires and the switch looks to be a gray color I can sit on the seat with motor running and lift up off the seat and the engine dies
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.
Let's start by just unplugging the wiring going to the seat switch and try it. If it still dies then make a jumper wire that you can insert into the connector so that you bypass the switch and see what happens.