Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a year old FasTrak HD with a 54" deck that does

Customer Question

I have a year old Hustler FasTrak HD with a 54" deck that does not produce a satisfactory cut. I've tried new blades, Gator blades, etc. and the results remain constant - a very inconsistent cut with lines of grass uncut. I have a Toro 22" mower that outperforms my $6K zero turn mower and if I didn't have 7 acres of grass to cut, my Toro would be in use more often. I have absolutely no engine problems (Kawasaki 23 HP) and tire inflation, mower deck, and all other items are fine. Here's the issue with the cut - I have a good stand of grass and if it gets too tall, like after several days of rain, I must raise the deck to cut the grass, but I have areas of grass that does not get cut, like the blade never touched it) or a strip of grass that does not get cut (like between the blades). it almost seems like there is not enough upward suction to draw the grass into the blade to be cut; yet, I've tried blades with a larger sail. This product is still under warranty and I'm ready to take the mower back and replace with a commercial mower, one that cuts all of the grass the first time. Any suggestions before giving up on Hustler?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't believe so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.It sounds like you have looked at just about everything. What does the Hustler authorized service center in your area say about the issue? Since it is under warranty I assume that you have talked to them or taken it to them for repair or checks.I would take a close look at the front to rear deck settings, you want the front of the mower deck to be 1/4 -3/8" lower than the rear of the mower deck otherwise you will not get a good cut, it can cause this type of cut issue. You want the grass to be cut as it enters the front of the mower deck and if the deck is perfectly level all the way around it doesn't cut it as it enters the deck it actually sometimes won't cut it all. If the mower deck becomes reward pitched or the rear lower than the front then you will kill the engine power and get poor performance.