Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My ariens lawn tractor with lever actuated hydrostatic transmision

Customer Question

my ariens lawn tractor with lever actuated hydrostatic transmision will only go int ogear y depressing the Brake/clutch but the lever moves ok when engine is off
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Once it is forwrd or reverse it seems to move fine but if I push the brake pedal down after putting it back in neutral it surges forward a little bit. The brake stops it like it hit a wall if presed wile moving at all
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The mower does not come to an immediate stop when shifted back to neutral and when I say it surges forward it is just as I start to press on the brake, It comes to a stop when it is completely depressed, Yesterday towing a dethatcher at one point even though I moved the lever to neutral it kept on moving in the last direction both forward and reverse until I pushed the brake down completely.
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.
sorry that your machine is giving you stress...lets see what we can do to figure this out. first off what model is your machine?