Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Kohler command engine. Runs about 20 to 30 minutes then overheats.

Customer Question

Kohler command engine. Runs about 20 to 30 minutes then overheats. Engine shuts down due to fuel solenoid stopping fuel flow. Coil is working. If I put a small amount of fuel directly into carburetor the engine will start but only runs long enough to use up small amount of fuel poured into carburetor. What I did or know: Added solenoid heat shield to carburetor, air filter is new and clean, choke is fully open, no obstructions in carburetor, exhaust is free and open, engine is ran at throttle full, engine has proper oil and is to full mark, engine is not under unusual stress or strain, if the hood is removed it will run longer. What else can I do????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello Jerry. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Your fuel shut off solenoid is faulty, and needs to be replaced. If you prefer, you can use a plug in place of your fuel shut off solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Your fuel shut off solenoid is working up until it gets hot, then it fails. This is common for one that is faulty.