Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

MY JOHNE DEERE D 105 STOPPED RUNNING SUDDENLY WHILE MOWING

Customer Question

MY JOHNE DEERE D 105 STOPPED RUNNING SUDDENLY WHILE MOWING WET GRASS. IT WILL NOT START. I HAVE REPLACED THE SOLENOID BUT ALL I GET WHEN I TURN IT ON IS A BRIEF HIGH PITCHED WHINE...THEN NOTHING. NO CLICKING, NOTHING. I HAVE CHECKED THE PTO SWITCH AND THE RIO SWITCH.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Charles. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you checked to see what your battery voltage is, when your key is in start position?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You voltage could be dropping too low, during start up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have hooked up a second battery to the current battery twice to jump start the engine in case the power was dropping too much. Like I said this battery is less than 1 year old....And I never intended to sign up for a continuing monthly charge. I intended to pay for a one time answer. Matter of Fact I thought you were a rep of John deere, like a help page or something. I am not happy about how I got into this. Please cancel any remaining charge. I will pay the one time charge of $18 and chalk it up to experience and my stupidity..
.Your answer so far has not helped me at all
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I have not given you an answer. My initial response is part of troubleshooting, to help determine what is causing our problem. Do to the fact I cannot hear or see your mower, I must troubleshoot and ask you questions as we go. You are not required to subscribe to a monthly service.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I had no way of knowing you had already hooked up a second battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If I only have to pay the $18 once...which is what I thought, what else do you need to know?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you reply. Have you checked to see if you can spin your engine by hand? This is only a troubleshooting question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't know how. I did make sure the mower blades would turn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I can't check it now. The mower is about 5 miles away.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if your engine is a Briggs & Stratton?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is a 17.5 hp John Deere d 105
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Ok ..
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would like to confirm something. As of right now, you are not hearing a clicking noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to turn the pully of the unit(the drive pully) and I could not turn it. But I was being very careful to not crank it and cut me hands off!No I am not getting a clicking noise. Some times I get one click but that is all. I generally get a very high pitched whine almost like a faint scream that last maybe 3 seconds then nothing.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Now that you are not getting the clicking noise, I wonder if your fuse has blown?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I checked the fuse and it looks normal.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you check it with your meter? Sometimes the fuse holder will fail, preventing power from getting to your ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I just removed it and looked at it and it looked normal.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Charles, when will you be back at your mower again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow. It is raining here now and I have to pick up my daughter at school soon
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would like for you to check some things for me, then we can continue at no additional charge. We can work together until our problem is resolved. There is not a time limit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great. Tell me what I need to check...and how if I need to Spin in motor by hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I need to spin the motor by hand...Sorry
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
To spin your engine by hand, just put your hand on your flywheel screen, to turn your flywheel. This will confirm where or not your engine is locked.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This is safer than turning your drive pulley ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by screen, do you mean the cover over the top of the engine?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the cover over your flywheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** Anything else?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Use your meter, to check both red wires that lead in and out of your fuse holder.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You may need to pierce these wires in order to test them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Anything else
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This will confirm the condition of your fuse holder.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with using a screwdriver to jump across your solenoid post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it once, but also measured across the solenoid. I think it read 2.4 or 2.6
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Give it another try, just to see if this will cause your engine to spin.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you try these suggestions, let me know what your results are. This will give us a good starting point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Anything else before I contact you again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That's it for now. I will get an alert tomorrow, to let me know you are back.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do not leave a rating until we have resolved our problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Take care ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the battery voltage drop while trying to crank. It was 12.4 volts before...it dropped to 6.6 volts while trying to turn the engine.
I checked the fuse, and then I removed the cover from over the engine and tried to rotate it by hand. At first it wouldn't move. Then on second and subsequent tries it did rotate. I put the cover back on...what a pain in the butt...and tried to crank it..It started right up ran for about 30-45 seconds and quit. It is not getting any gas. I have tried to restore the gas flow but to no avail.
Chuck
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chuck. Thanks for the update. I would like to confirm something. Will your engine spin now, but will not start up and run?