Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have poulan p4018wt that would not run. After a couple pulls

Customer Question

I have poulan p4018wt that would not run. After a couple pulls on rope it locks up, have to take spark plug out and pour gas out of cylinder. Instead of trying to rebuild it I ordered a new one from Jack's small engines and just put it on. Problem is still the same. Two or three pulls and the top of the cylinder is full of gasoline? I can't figure it out!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I also replaced the spark plug and air filter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Is the choke plate open? Do you have spark at the spark plug if you remove it and ground to the metal of the engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Choke plate is open. I checked the spark with a tester when I change the plug and has good spark.
When did it last run? What is the compression?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Compression is around 96, ran good last year.
Compression needs to be around 140 psi. But seems like that would not cause the gas in the cylinder. I assume the exhaust is open? Remove the muffler and try it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can do that but I see fuel running out of the muffler also so I assumed it was not stopped up. It will take a few minutes, how do I get back to you if I lose connection?
There will be a link in your email to get back. Also with muffler off, you can see into the cylinder.Examine the piston walls and cylinder through the exhaust side.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I removed the muffler, poured a fair amount of gas out of it. Used air compressor to blow through the muffler and it does not appear to be stopped up. The piston walls look good, no scars or scratches visible. I removed the plug wire and pulled the rope several times and I don't see any fuel coming out of the exhaust ports.
Timing key on flywheel to crankshaft can be shered throwing off the timing, but I think problem is the low compression.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Did you find probelm?