Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

JD L120 is complexly dead until jumped. Runs fine but will

Customer Question

Hi JD L120 is complexly dead until jumped. Runs fine but will not mow when pto switch is engaged. Nothing. will not re-start when switched off ..completely dead.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Also ..just prior to this failure to engage pto when the Rio switch was engaged it had no effect ie the mower would not mow in reverse.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The only other thing that I can see happening is that the hour readout display fade in and out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you checked for a blown fuse?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes . there is only 1 x 20 amp in line fuse and ut looks fine
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.
Do you have either a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.
Ok. We need to determine if you are getting voltage to your ignition switch.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By-passed the solenoid ...ran wire from Ignition to battery and nothing. It started ok when boosted but blades would not engage. Absolutely dead when tried to restart without boosting. Battery showing 9.9v -low - but lights do not even come on. Will start with boost to battery. Is there an alternator that charges the battery on this model? Bypassed the PTO switch and no difference ..will not start .. Seat switch must be good as it start with boost
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for this information. Remove the wiring connector from your ignition switch. Check the red wire, to see if you detect voltage. If not, you could possibly have a bad fuse holder, although your fuse look good. Let's start here.