Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Years ago we used to test the alternator by disconnecting the

Customer Question

Years ago we used to test the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the machine running. If the alternator was bad the machine would die. Is that still the case with newer machines
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I thought my battery was bad so I had it tested. It was ok. I charged it and started the tractor and then disconnected the battery and the motor died instantly. I removed the alternator to have it tested but was informed that it was too small for the parts store to test. will the tractor run off the alternator without the battery after it has been started
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: don't know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Make and model? Better to test battery voltage before start, and again after starting, and if voltage increases more than 1.5 volt, alternator is working. say from 12 volts to 13.5 volts.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Did you get my reply? Removing the battery cable is not valid test anymore!