Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 420 John deere lawn tractor. The hydrostatic transmission

Customer Question

I have a 420 John deere lawn tractor. The hydrostatic transmission when put in reverse the tractor goes forward. The dealer said to scrap the tractor but I have a new engine in it. Is there any instructions to remove the transmission so I can send it out to have it rebuilt
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: is this service free or do I have to pay you and how much
JA: The Small Engine Technician's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: one other question the tractor used to go in reverse before the dealer tried to fix it and made it much worse. So I either try myself or remove the transmission but I do not know where to start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP46/MP4610_________UN01JAN94.gif
# ***** is the lever that moves the swash plate for the direction change. Raise rear wheels and set on jack stands and manually work this levet at the transmission. It has t move equal distance for forward and reverse. If the tractor has forward and reverse, all it needs is linkage adjustment. ???
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
did you see my reply?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Curtis B, I brought my tractor to an excellent mechanic who lives up the street from me. He ended up making some sort of part. bushing that is what he called it. He said there was supposed to be a 1/2 inch hole and it was an inch. So I think the bushing put it back to 1/2 inch. He said the play in the 1 inch section had a magnifying effect that screwed up the shifting. He corrected the shifting problem completely. He also lubed all the grease fittings under my deck. I asked the John Deere dealership to do that and but my mechanic neighbor said they did not. My mechanic neighbor worked on it for 15 hours and charged me 500 dollars. He said the John Deere dealership tried to adjust the shifting but went in the wrong direction.. They should have made a bushing but instead further screwed up the shifting by over adjusting in the wrong direction. That is why when I got the tractor back from them the shifting was worse than when I brought it originally. Also the John Deere dealership told me the transmission parts alone where 3000. I found that was not true either that is why I started wondering what else is not true so I asked my mechanic neighbor to please help me out. .. My mechanic neighbor also found that they hire kids at the dealership that do not know what they are doing. He also said there is nothing wrong with your transmission or the rear end of the tractor. He could tell because he cut open the old filter and did not see any filings. He changed the transmission filter and added new transmission oil. I am quite happy to have my tractor back and working. The tractor has a brand new Kohler 20 hp engine. I would have lost a great deal junking my tractor and I have had my tractor since 1990 and did not want to part with it. So I am very happy about how things turned out. But I am thinking of going to the dealership and talking to the owner because I am so angry at what they did or should I say did not do.
!! Glad it worked out! I was sure that the transmigration was not bad!